Deir al-Balah city
Deir al-Balah is one of the occupied Palestinian cities. Its land area is 58 km², and it is twenty-three meters above sea level. It was named after the construction of the first
monastery in Palestine on its land, where it was built by St. Hilarius, who was buried in the eastern neighborhood of the city. It was also called the date palm in relation to the large number of palm trees that surround it. It was also known in the past as the city of Darom, which means the south.
Where is Deir al-Balah located?
It is located astronomically at longitude 34.350931 degrees east of Greenwich, and at latitude 31.417138 degrees north of the equator.
It is geographically located in the southern part of Palestine, specifically on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. The city is 90 km away from the capital city of Jerusalem, and 740 km from Cairo.
The population of Deir al-Balah is 251,490 thousand people, and the population density is
4,336 people per km2, according to 2012 statistics.
Its residents speak the Arabic language, which is an official language in the State of Palestine. As for the religion, the majority of its residents devote the Islamic religion, and a
minority adheres to the Christian religion.
Deir al-Balah city departments
Administratively, it is divided into ten regions: Al-Mahatta, Al-Balad, Hekr Al-Jami, Abu Arif,
Al-Maskar, Al-Baraka, Al-Bassa, Al-Brouk, Al-Mahatta, and Abu Holi.
History of Deir al-Balah
In the past, before 1948 AD, the old railway line located on the eastern side of it used to
pass through it, and it used to connect between the city of Rafah and the city of Haifa, as
well as to the city of Cairo in Egypt through the Sinai desert.
After 1948, the railway line connected Gaza City with Cairo, but it stopped working in 1967
AD after Israel occupied the Gaza Strip.
You must log in to post a comment.