Archaeological Sites in Gaza Strip
Great Omari Mosque
Al-Omari Mosque is considered the oldest and most ancient mosque in Gaza City. It is located in the middle of “Old Gaza” near the old market. Its area is 4100 square meters, and its courtyard area is 1190 square meters. It bears 38 columns of beautiful and sturdy
marble construction, which reflects in its beauty and splendor the ingenuity of ancient architecture in the city. Gaza City.
It was called the Omari Mosque in relation to the Caliph Omar, may God be pleased with
him, and the Great Mosque because it is the largest mosque in Gaza.
The Omari Mosque is distinguished by its containing an important library in which there
are many manuscripts in various sciences and arts.
The origin of this library goes back to Al-Zahir Baybars Al-Bandaqdari, and it was previously called Al-Zahir Baybars Library.
Hammam al-Samra is located in the Zaytoun neighborhood and is considered one of the
finest examples of the Ottoman baths in Palestine and it is the only hammam remaining so far in Gaza City. Its planning was marked by a gradual transition from the hot room to the warm room, and then the cold room, which was roofed with a dome with round holes intertwined with colored glass allowing The sun’s rays from penetrating to illuminate the hall with natural light that gives the place beauty .
Greek Orthodox Church
Greek Orthodox Church is located in Al-Zaytoun neighborhood, and its construction dates
back to the beginning of the fifth century AD. The current buildings date back to the 12th century AD. This church is characterized by huge walls supported by marble and granite
columns fixed in a horizontal position to support the walls in addition to the stone shoulders. The church was renovated in 1856 and in the northeastern corner of it there is Tomb of Saint Porphyrios, who died in 420 AD .
Al-Basha Palace is located in the Al-Daraj neighborhood in the old city of Gaza.
It is a two-storey building dating back to the Mamluk era, and it was the seat of the ruler of
Gaza during the Mamluk and Ottoman eras.
It was used as a police station during the British Mandate period in Palestine, and the
French commander Napoleon Bonaparte spent three nights besieging the palace during
his military campaign against Egypt and Syria in 1799 AD, and that is why some
sometimes call it “Napoleon’s fortress.”